FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Do I have to pre-register for a class or can I just show up?
- How do I cancel my registration for a youth or adult enrichment class?
- How do I know if an adult or youth enrichment class is canceled?
- How do I know where my class is located?
- I didn't get my email verification after setting up my account.
- I had an account in the old Community Education registration system. Do I need to create a new one?
- I have an idea for a Youth Enrichment class. Who do I talk to?
- I have an idea for an Adult Enrichment class. Who do I talk to?
- I would like to read the Baxter Parks and Rec agreement, where can I find that?
- I would like to read the Gymnastics Class Guidelines, where can I find them?
- I would like to read the Preschool Payment Plan Policies, where do I find them?
- I would like to read the Youth Activities Agreement, where can I find it?
- I would like to read the Youth Driver Ed Contract, where can I find it?
- Is financial assistance available for Community Education classes?
- What is your photograph/video taping policy?
- Who do I contact if I want to TEACH a class?
- Who is on the Community Education advisory board?
Pre-registration is required for ALL classes. You must be registered and all fees paid before class begins.
To cancel your registration in a class, you must either call our office at 218-454-6924 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to be reimbursed for canceling a class, you must notify us at least three business days before the start of the class, unless otherwise stated in the class description. No refunds will be given for cancellations received less than three business days before class. The exception to this is Driver Education. We require a seven business day notification for canceling a Driver Education class.
In the event we would have to cancel a class due to low enrollment, sick instructor or emergency situation, we will EMAIL you at the SAME EMAIL you used to register. If the Brainerd School District is closed due to bad weather, then all Community Education classes and activities are canceled as well. Announcements will be broadcast over the following stations and continue periodically: WJJY (106.7 FM), 3Wi (1270 AM), KLIZ (1380 AM/107.5 FM), KUAL (Cool 103.5 FM), KVBR (1340 AM), KLKS (104.3 FM), KTIG (102.7 FM) & KCCO-TV (Channel 7/12).
Each class has a building code and or classroom number assigned to it.Here is the building code chart:
Baxter - Baxter Elementary School (5546 Fairview Road, Baxter)
BHS - Brainerd High School (702 S 5th Street, Brainerd)
ECFE - Early Childhood Family Education Center (311 10th Avenue NE, Brainerd)
FAC - Franklin Arts Center (1001 Kingwood, Brainerd)
FMS - Forestview Middle School (12149 Knollwood Drive, Baxter)
Nisswa - Nisswa Elementary School (5533 Lakers Lane, Nisswa)
WESB - Washington Educational Services Building (804 Oak Street, Brainerd)
Be sure to check your spam folder as some e-mail providers send automated messages to the spam box.
Yes, we have moved to a brand new software in January of 2020. If this is your first time using our new software, you will need to create a new username and password.
If you have an idea for a youth enrichment class that you would like to propose, complete our Class Proposal Form online.
If you have an idea for an adult enrichment class that you would like to propose, complete our Class Proposal Form online.
Here it is:
I do hereby agree to allow the individual named herein to participate in City of Baxter/ISD#181 recreational activities with the understanding the City of Baxter/ISD#181 does not provide group accidental insurance and must provide and have attained said insurance. I further agree to indemnify, and hold the City of Baxter/ISD#181 and their employees harmless from and against any liability for any injury which may be suffered by the aforementioned individual arising out of, or in any way connected with his/her participation in this activity.
Here they are:
NOTE in order to accommodate as many gymnasts as possible, you may only register for one class each session.
To make it a safe and enjoyable gymnastics experience for your gymnast, please follow these program guidelines: -
- Gymnastics/dance leotards are mandatory for class
- Hair pulled back in a ponytail -No jewelry or gum
- Only registered gymnasts during their class time are allowed on any equipment
- Spectators must remain in the bleachers
- Parents must pick up their gymnasts promptly as there is no supervision provided after the activity ends.
- Gym doors will open at 3:30pm every day
- No makeup class if your gymnast is absent
- Private lessons are non-refundable & no make-ups for missed lessons.
Gymnasts will be evaluated each practice on the proper skills that need to be mastered before moving onto the next level. Within each class level, groups are based on skill level. During the session, gymnasts may be moved to a different group depending on skill level improvement. Once a gymnast has been moved to the advanced group and all skills have been mastered, congratulations and approval to move to the next class level will be sent from coaching staff.
I have read and agree to the class guidelines above.
- Proof of income is required to be submitted prior to contract requests will be considered for approval.
- Monthly payments are due by the 15th of every month. Final bill payments MUST be zeroed out befoe the end of the school year. Invoices will be sent home in your child's back pack as a reminder.
- Lack of payment or absences are subject to withdrawal from the program.
- Any fees paid in full will be considred for refund with approval of the Director unlesss otherwise noted in the handbook. Failure to attend classes will not be considered a reason for refund.
- If your proof of income does not represent your current income, other documentation will need to be provided. Example: a change of wage or loss of employment statement from your employer on company letterhead.)
- No changes to payment plan will be accepted after March 1 of that school year.
- Early registration privileges (March) will only be provided to families who are current on their payments.
I certify that this information provided on the payment plan is true and correct. I understand that school officials may verify the information and that deliberate misrepresentation may subject me to prosecution under applicable laws. I will notify the school immediately if financial situation changes.
I agree to the payment plan above and will contact the Learning Center to discuss if a revised plan is needed.
Here it is:
Medical Concerns: Please indicate any special needs, i.e., food allergies, health conditions, etc., your child may have when registering. It is ultimately the parent/guardian's responsibility to contact the instructor to provide detailed information on their child's condition. Contact the Brainerd Community Education office, 218-454-6924, for instructors' contact information.
All classes and activities are subject to enrollment maximums and minimums.
Photographs and videos of class activities may be taken and used for district publications and web pages. If you do not want your child's image used, please notify the Community Education Office in writing every time you register for a class.
I have read and agree to the information above.
Right here :
Offered throughout the school year and summer by Brainerd Public Schools Community Education. Taught by college-trained Department of Education certified instructors who will help you meet the State Driver Education requirements!
Classroom portion of the program DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR, students will meet three times a week; Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for three hours each day.
Classroom portion of the program SUMMER SESSIONS, will meet five times a week; Monday through Friday for three hours each day.
Attendance each day is mandatory to gain the 30 hours of classroom training which is required by state law!
Students must be 15 years of age by the 10th classroom session (age exceptions must be discussed when registering).
After completing 30 hours of classroom, the student will spend eight hours in the simulator. All simulator classes are 1.5 hours except for the last class which is two hours long.
*Missed simulation classes result in the need for extra driving time to meet state requirements. If one class is missed, the student must pay for 1/2 hour of extra on-street driving at the cost of $23 in order to meet the requirements. Any remaining balance or additional charges incurred after the first date of a class must be paid by cash or credit card; no checks will be accepted.
**Students will be allowed to register for behind the wheel dates at the end of simulation or drive at a later date.
To ensure that this driver's education program is safe and appropriate, please indicate when registering whether the student has any special needs or requires any accommodations to be successful in this program.
Class size is limited.
Note -- In order to be reimbursed for canceling a class or to be moved to another section, you must notify the Community Education office at least seven business days prior to the start of class.
Behind the wheel dates are made by appointment during the school year (an instructor will call). Most people will be done driving 3-6 weeks after simulation unless they choose to wait.
Students will complete the entire course within one year of their first classroom session. A $60 fee will be assessed to those waiting longer than a year. Anyone waiting 18 months or longer will pay $90 and $5 per month thereafter.
After eight hours of simulation, four hours behind the wheel are required. However, whenever possible, students will be scheduled to drive with a driving partner and will spend half of their eight in-car hours observing and the other half driving.
Students who cancel or wish to move to another section with less than seven business days notice, prior to the class start date will forfeit $115 of their tuition.
If a student withdraws from the program after beginning classroom they will forfeit $115 of their tuition.
If a student withdraws from the program after beginning simulation, $205 will be forfeited.
Students who don't show up for scheduled behind the wheel driving appointments will be charged $37. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the driving is scheduled.
NOTE: The 90-minute parent course we offer for the primary driving supervisor will be free of charge to parents whose student's tuitions are paid in full.
This agreement/contract constitutes an agreement/contract between the program and the student/parent and no verbal statements or promises will be recognized.
We have read and agree with the terms and conditions described above.
We try and keep our classes as affordable as possible for all families. However, we do offer a 25% discount to those Brainerd Public School students that qualify for the free or reduced lunch program. Contact our office at 218-454-6924 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. There are some classes/activities that we are not able to offer a discount for.
Enrollment in District 181 Community Education classes or activities constitutes permission to District 181 to take and use photographs, video and other likenesses of you and your enrolled minor child in District 181's promotional materials and publications. If you do not wish for the image and likeness of you or your minor child to be used in this manner, contact us in writing each time you register for a class.
We are always looking for people who would like to share their skill or talent with the community by teaching a Community Ed class. No degree required, just a love for your hobby and a willingness to share.
For an adult class proposal, click here! Our adult enrichment coordinator is Allison Hiltner (email@example.com) and phone is 218-454-6929
For a youth class proposal, click here! Our youth enrichment coordinator is Maureen O'Connor (firstname.lastname@example.org) and phone is 218-454-6564
Our advisory members are (Fall 2019):
Charles Blacklance, Cassie Carey, David Chanski, Missy Giles, Justin Halbersma, Lisa Henry, Erin Herman, Susanne Hinrichs, Holly Holm, Darren Larson, Kathy Sell and Kathy Tusa
Still have questions?
Feel free to contact us with what's on your mind.